Sunday, March 12, 2017

Radiator Relocation

Well hello everyone. I have terrific news! I got the engine back in the car and got everything put back together and she fired up! Bad news is I am having a weird oil pressure gauge and a non-functioning alternator problem. But that is neither here nor there.

As an initial warning, to do this you need to have removed the AC and the condenser so there is open space in the front of the car. You could do this with any radiator really.

I figured I would write a quick post about something I spent a couple of hours on this weekend which was relocating my radiator. By relocating, I mean moving it ~2" towards the front of the car. This came about when I was trying to get the radiator and the fans back in the car. The power steering lines got tweaked or something and where I originally had very tight clearances, I now had none. The fan was hitting both the power stearing lines and the sway bar. I have a mishimoto radiator which is a fair bit thicker than the OE one. This has caused me only minor problems since day one, but now has serious problems since I couldn't even get the fan in the car.


 Well shit, now what? Looking down at the bracket that holds the radiator I saw the holes where the condenser used to sit since I took the AC out and nothing sits there now. I tried to get the radiator in there...no dice. But hey anything can be modified!

The condenser whole is the one towards the bottom of the photo. This was after modifying it, you can see it is about the same size as the original radiator mount hole.
In short what I did was took the brackets off. I had to cut off a corner on the driver side bracket that wasn't doing anything anyways to make clearance for the radiator. I then opened up the condenser mount holes to be 1" and then cut two adapter pieces to fit in the hole and welded them to support the radiator. After this I had to bend the top supports a little extra to have a good fit. All you need to do for that is put them in a vice and hit them with a hammer. Go easy though, they bend fairly easy.