Thursday, September 1, 2016

Did someone say TUUUUUURRRRRRBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOO????

Well I have disappointing news. The keyway on the crank is toast(ish). When I bought the car the crank pulley bolt was loose. I tightened it up and continued driving it for the past two years. But my guess is the damage was already done. It was noticed at the last track day that my pulley is wobbling again pretty good. I tried to tighten the crank bolt only to find out it is still tight. So I ended up taking it a part and this is what I have:

The lower timing belt cover has been chewed up from all the wobbling
Broken key, this is supposed to be uniform and square along the whole length
My engine is a total oil and rusty mess
Damaged rank pulley piece (not sure what to call it). The keyway on the crankshaft itself which is the hard one to replace looks exactly like this too.

So there are plenty of people out there who have had the same problem and they fix it using Loctite 660 which was developed for the exact purpose of repairing worn out keyways. The only problem is, when people do this they basically glue everything together with the loctite, which I planned on rebuilding the engine this winter. I didn't want to glue it all together only to take it apart again. Sooooo, for the first time in my time of owning this car, it got trailered (back to my parents for winter). After all the abuse of autocross and track days of which I was sure it was going to break, it is my taking stuff apart that causes me to trailer the car.



Along with finding this out, I have been doing some thinking. It is going to take a lot of money to get this car road race ready. Then it is going to continue taking a lot of money. So rather than continually spending large wads of cash I don't have, I will spend one large wad of cash and see how much of it I can make my dad's money ;).

Oh you want to know what that wad of cash is going to? DIDN'T YOU READ THE DAMN TITLE! TUUUUURRRRRBBBOOOOOOO!!!!

I will still autocross the car, but in a new class. But most importantly, my HP goal for the car when I am done is in the 250whp department. This should be around the same wheel horsepower as my civic, motorcycle, and miata pre-turbo combined. As of writing this I have a pretty good grasp on the things that need to be done, so I will continue making posts with all my information for someone else to learn from my (hopefully) success.

Now I know what most of you are thinking because you follow my blog extremely closely and want all my latest information, "What about all that suspension stuff you were going to do and show us the magic numbers of testing". Well I still have intentions to do everything I said, this is obviously going to push everything back though. I might see about getting new suspension on the car while the engine is out, we will see. For now the future looks bright, broke, and boosted (don't be stealing my quotes now people).

I leave you with turbo gloriousness:TUUURRBBBOOOO