Sunday, October 12, 2014

First Post

I tried this whole blog thing a while back for friends and family to keep up with what was happening with my formula club, buuuuuuuuut I kind of forgot about it. So I am hoping to try this again with my Miata. This will hopefully also help me later on by keeping track of things that I have done and maybe even give me instructions on how to put something back together that I took apart 3 months prior. I may also learn some HTML programming while doing this to make this whole thing shnazzy.

Posts for this may come far in between since I am not currently a millionaire and it takes time for me to save up the money to buy parts. I believe I have picked the most expensive hobby on the planet outside of airplane racing or any hobby that is done in Dubai. But for those of you who may not already know, I bought my first car and boy is it an impractical one! This is the only way to start building a proper race car; take something impractical and make it even more impractical.

In July of 2014 I purchased a 1999 Mazda Miata with the intent of building it to race in the SCCA Improved Touring S (ITS) class. This class allows me to do both club and autocross without having to make alterations to the car. I assume it will also fit in a class to race in NASA (National Auto Sports Association), not the one that produces astronauts. This class designation may change down the road as I learn more about things, but for now that is the goal.

This is going to be a several year project, but I am hoping to have the car at a good running point by spring of 2015 so I can start racing it and be moderately competitive. Well, I think that is enough writing for now. Stay tuned for more to come. My roll bar will arrive the week of Oct. 13, 2014. So my first endeavor will be to get that in the car.

TL;DR - I bought a red sports car that lots of people argue looks girly to go fast in because I like cars and racing. I am promptly going to do my best to kill this car by doing horrible modifications to it in an attempt to make it "better".

My car the first day I had it

What it looks like when someone who is 6'10" sits in a Miata