Friday, December 9, 2016

Engine Rebuild - Part 1: Removal

Alright everyone, the time has come! I am yanking all the is beautiful and right in the world out of this car. With a little patience, a book for guidance, and a second hand from my dad; we got the engine and transmission out of the car in about a weekends worth of work. I have been using the Grainger manual for the removal and rebuild of the engine. Overall it has been a great help and I have only found a couple points where it was lacking on information which were easily solved by the internet.

This is the one I have. It says it covers to 1999, but it doesn't really cover the modifications to the NB 1.8L. It uses the 1.8 out of the NA. Which not much is different but there were some little differences along the way. Grainger Manual

Drain all the fluids and remove the radiator. Supposedly you can get it out with the radiator in, but I wouldn't risk it.

Label Label Label...oh yeah and Label

I think the book does a good job of covering how to get the engine out so I am not really going to cover it. I will say that if you do have an NB and use that manual pay attention to stuff because things are not all the same. Such as the NB has the cam sensor in the front of the engine, not the rear; or the fact that the oil sprayers under the pistons don't have copper washers on the NB but do on the NA. MY ONE RECOMMENDATION IS (this isn't how the book does it), to remove the transmission, unbolt it from the Power Plant Frame (PPF). Leave the PPF attached to the car. There are other engine write ups that cover this and I highly recommend it. It was surprisingly very easy.

Make sure you get a hoist with a long enough boom to not hit the bumper

LABEL EVERYTHING AND YOU CAN'T TAKE TOO MANY PHOTOS! Since I have not put mine back in, I can't say how good a job I did. But I know it will not be good enough because there are always questions, like "why the hell would I label this that!?"

I don't want to put them all in here, but I have been compiling a mass photo collection of the rebuild. I have been trying to document little things that aren't obvious, or simply just trying to get pictures of things I had questions about that no one seemed to have good images of. So if you are looking for a picture of how a bracket goes or something, you may browse through. I have a bunch of different picture that will hopefully help someone.

My photo dump can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/I6Q7W

I am thinking my next entry will be disassembly.